Monday, October 25, 2010

Canzine

Yesterday was a trip down Queen West to the Great Hall to experience the cultural event that is Canzine! There were tons of independent publications to be seen, from postcards to zines to full fledged books (one about an army of cats and pirates stands out in my mind). The event was visually overwhelming, with some fantastic artists showing and selling work.
The new venue, however, wasn't so good. The event has, to the extent of my knowledge, always been held at the Gladstone Hotel a bit further west on Queen Street. That venue has space for workshops and actual MANOEUVRING. MY major complaint about Canzine this year was the lack of space. It was incredibly difficult to get around some of the rooms, and I admit that I did skip looking at some artists' work simply because I didn't want to fight my way into their tiny aisle, and then have to fight my way out again. I feel bad, but it is the unfortunate truth.
On another note, I know it's been a while since my last post. That isn't to say that I haven't been productive. I'm currently working on a couple of different projects, of which the most exciting is Whodunit, the annual mystery art sale fundraiser. I've finished two pieces for that show, out of a hopeful five. However, given the nature of the sale, I feel like I ought to withhold photos of the work until after the sale takes place.
Instead, I have a painting and a couple of drawings that are well on their way to becoming a screen print.



It is my hope that you will be able to recognize the famous gentlemen I've depicted in the drawings. The painting is acrylic on canvas with pen and ink drawing over top.

1 comment: